A Day in the Life of Us

Thanks to Jenny Wren, I was inspired today to blog about our day. Just the "stuff", nothing important. So here goes.

I got up this morning to a messy bedroom (it's Monday) and the phone ringing to announce that the repair serviceman who was supposed to come (again) to repair the stove (again) wasn't coming (again) because they had received the wrong parts (again.)

That news made me frustrated since I will have to keep dealing with this stove (it's been 7 months in the repair process) but on the other hand, happy, because I didn't have to deal with the repair guy. And I didn't have to make sure the kitchen was spotless. Not that I would have anyway.

So I got the kids up (Baby was already awake and fussing), and quickly emailed hubby and a few other people, checked some of my favorite blogs (Jenny Wren's among them) and went downstairs to start making some blueberry muffins.

The kids went ahead and had cereal for breakfast as they were running behind to get started on schoolwork, and helped the little boys get changed and fed. We all work together in the morning -- one little kid with one big kid, and it all gets done.

As the muffins were baking and the children were eating, I put some water on to boil and rinsed my yellow teapot, just the right size for one. Then I quickly showered, ran through the kitchen to set my tea to brew, dressed, stripped the bed, grabbed the sheets, and white bedspread which was a little grimy and needed a wash, and all the other laundry from our room, and threw it down the chute. Then, quickly loaded a big wash of whites including the sheets and bedspread (which will go straight back on the bed when it's clean and dry,) into the washer.By that time, the muffins were baked and the tea was brewed. I fixed a tray with enough muffins for kiddos who were still hungry after their cereal, and the tea, and we all went to the sunroom to work.Miss Rose and Joman started on maths as they do every morning.

I pulled out some photos, still in sealed envelopes from our big move. I hadn't had the fortitude to go through them until now, knowing they would make me too sad.So I had a muffin and a lovely hot cup of tea, and began to sort photos -- and soon the laundry needed attention. I felt that today would be a great day to hang the first load of the season. Although, it was colder outside than I had anticipated, and I soon discovered that it is a mistake to hang the first load of the season on the under-tree line if the load is whites -- because the line is dirty and leaves black smudges on my freshly clean laundry. I figured it was clean dirt, so oh well.Outside are tulips about to bloom, and violets thriving just outside the door; the purple shamrocks the original homeowners had brought from Ireland are poking new leaves through the soil, and my little herbs are sprouting up nicely. I do love to see things growing, especially when most of them are a surprise to me, this being the first spring in our house.Threw another load in the wash, and went back to the photos and kids, who were finished with maths and had moved on to handwriting and language arts.

So the morning passed with photos being sorted, school work being done, laundry being hung and another load washed and thrown in the dryer (my laundry line is rather hopeless -- inconveniently located at the other end of the house and only holds one load); the little boys played together and watched Sesame Street, and I drank up all my tea (my little teapot holds three small cups.)
We had some hotdogs in the fridge that needed to be eaten, so I cooked those for the children and boiled some eggs for myself, with green beans, muffins (for the kids) and grape juice. While the food was cooking, I rinsed stray dishes and loaded the dishwasher. Made a mental note of what to make for dinner (Italian beans and pasta; quick and easy.)Baby was wiped down well, being very messy by this point, and put to bed for a nap. Jr Spragus could use a nap too -- grumpy boy, after getting in trouble for denuding yet another toilet roll and throwing all the paper in the trash -- and the other kids are disintegrating into grumpiness too. And the dryer is buzzing.

Folded laundry, put some Roman beans to heat for a quick soak on the stove, and did today's ironing. Redirected Joman into doing some schoolwork, although he was entertaining Jr. Spragus quite well by playing with him as Miss Rose practiced piano: nevertheless, Joman's been working on a Dolphin project for a couple months now and he really needs to finish it up.Ran the laundry and ironing upstairs to put away, and made the bed, so far as I'm able with the pillowcases and bedspread still out on the line.

I've been making mental notes of what needs to be done as I've been shuttling around: I really need a peg bag, and that would be a great reason to finally get out and test this sewing machine I bought months ago; and the kitchen & dining room floors need mopping (what else is new). I need to order a clothes line and I did find a rotary-style line which will probably do. Nothing as nice as my old Hills hoist, but about $400 cheaper if I plan to get it in this country.

I really REALLY need to go through the kids' school work again; especially the language arts because that is the subject they are least likely to understand from the written directions. I still don't quite know how to balance the household needs with the schoolwork needs as well as the little-kid needs and it is a constant race and tug-o-war between the duties at hand. So maybe I will put that on my list for tonight. We'll see....I am usually running well out of energy by about 5pm; and pretty much a vegetable after dinner. Well, I am 5 months pregnant after all. And no spring chicken either :-)

So now, it is just after 2:30, and someone has JUST rung the doorbell.

We still need to do science -- the children really do need my help with that, and it is getting into the afternoon, so that is the next thing on the (non-scheduled) list to do.

So, Miss Rose made a sign for the door -- "Please do not ring the doorbell, baby needs to rest, thankyou for your kindness." Or something to that effect.

I folded more laundry, put away the dishes from the dishwasher and loaded up the dirties from lunch, worked on science with the older kids (learning about habitat, extinction and endangered species today), and "representational mathematics" with Jr Spragus (drawing certain numbers of certain shapes), made another pot of tea and served up some molasses cookies to the kids who were still finishing up school work. Then I sat down for a little bit with the photos, but Baby woke up so I put everything away and put the beans for tonight's dinner on to cook. Now it's time to get the last load of laundry off the line, and hope that it's dry and not too dirty from the line.

Daddy has an appointment today after work but he should be home soon.
Daddy came home with good news -- his blood pressure has dropped to perfectly normal (the doctor had wanted to prescribe meds for his borderline high blood pressure, due to his strong family history of heart disease; but we asked if we could try with exercise and diet -- it's working!!).

I did a few more odd jobs around the house and fixed dinner -- a vegetarian Italian beans and pasta, which is one of everyone's favorites. I had a lovely little round loaf of sourdough bread in the freezer which I thawed and then baked in the oven to crispy hotness. Now the children are helping to clear the table, and I am deciding whether or not to go to the library, since I have a few books due. I think I might. It would be nice to get out for a while. I find that being busy around the home all day makes me a little stressed by the end of the day, even when things go perfectly well, and that getting out for a little while helps to clear my mind and put things in perspective. So I guess I'll go.

Hiya Hannah! Thanks for commenting! LOL.

Well, it's just after 10pm and I've been chatting to hubby who reminded me that he IS taking a diuretic to help with his blood pressure. Now, to get him off that, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not doing anything else tonight. Went to the library and got a couple dvd's -- one about the Shakers and two Manor House series. Took the long way home and enjoyed the drive with peace, quiet and radio all to myself. In the meantime, Daddy led devotions with the kiddos and cleaned up the dining room.

So, the peg bag didn't get sewn and the floors didn't get mopped, but everyone is happy and in bed -- except me. But I'm heading that way.

I have a big day tomorrow. I'll give you all some news then! Thanks for sharing a day in the life of us!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...